Friday, May 8, 2009

Those poor, stupid polygamists...

I just read this article on BBC News about the new South African president, Jacob Zuma, who is an open polygamist. Obviously polygamy and polyamory are not the same, but it's still close enough for me to be bothered by some of what was said in the article. Here's a few choice quotes:

"According to political analyst Protas Madlala, many Zulus who are Christian have turned away from the practice, but it persists in rural areas because of the low standard of education and enduring poverty there."

What, because non-monogamy is a product of poverty and poor education?!?!?!?!


"'I am a Westernised African, with an education, so I wouldn't go for a polygamous marriage,' Mr Madlala says."

I'm really not liking this Mr. Madlala.


"He says that although polygamy is not as common as it once was, traditions are associated with openness and honesty.
'People who stick to the traditions say that they may have more than one wife, but Christians maintain strings of mistresses, hidden away.'"

OK, I can kind of get behind this statement by Madlala. But it doesn't jibe with the rest of his statements, so it seems pretty obvious he doesn't believe it himself.


At least the article is smart enough to include a quote (from someone else) indicating that sexual/relational/marital preference doesn't impact someone's ability to lead a country. I hope Mr. Zuma does an outstanding job so that maybe "Western", "educated" people will start to rethink their stances on marriage, relationships, and even sexual preferences.

No comments: